Welcome Veterans and Their Families to the DD214 Website!!
If you’d like to learn everything possible about DD Form 214, commonly referred to as just DD214, you’ve come to the right place. But, before we get into the minutia, the DD214’s history, importance and many uses, most people who visit this site simply want to know the best method to acquire a certified copy of their (or their close relative’s) DD214. In order to save you some time, we’ve placed a link to The Best Method to Acquire Your DD214 (Click HERE) first.
What is a DD214?
Want to know the legal nitty gritty? We've provided the complete DoD Instruction NUMBER 1336.1 concernng Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214/5 Series) HERE (4.5 mb). We've also provided:
- Army Regulation 635-5 concerning the preparation and distribution of separation documents HERE (61k)
- the Marine Corps Separation and Retirement Manual, MARCORSEPMAN HERE (1.54 mb)
- and you can access the Naval Military Personnel Manual NAVPERS 15560D HERE.
Why is a DD214 important?
The Report of Separation contains information normally needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment, and membership in veterans' organizations. Information shown on the Report of Separation may include the service member's:
- Date and place of entry into active duty
- Home address at time of entry
- Date and place of release from active duty
- Home address after separation
- Last duty assignment and rank
- Military job specialty
- Military education
- Decorations, medals, badges, citations, and campaign awards
- Total creditable service
- Foreign service credited
- Separation information (type of separation, character of service, authority and reason for separation, separation and reenlistment eligibility codes)